The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P CNX Nifty were AXIS Bank Ltd. (NSE: AXBK ), which rose 4.91% or 26.15 points to trade at 558.50 at the close. Jindal Steel & Power Ltd (NSE: JNSP ) added 3.54% or 4.60 points to end at 134.70 and ICICI Bank Ltd. (NSE: ICBK ) was up 3.07% or 9.45 points to 317.65 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Lupin Ltd (NSE: LUPN ), which fell 3.36% or 58.75 points to trade at 1689.50 in late trade. Hindalco Industries Ltd. (NSE: HALC ) declined 2.98% or 4.10 points to end at 133.50 and Bharti Airtel Ltd. (NSE: BRTI ) down 2.30% or 9.00 points to 382.55.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were AXIS Bank Ltd. (BO: AXBK ) which rose 4.95% to 559.10, Gail (India) Ltd. (BO: GAIL ) which was up 3.08% to settle at 378.05 and ICICI Bank Ltd. (BO: ICBK ) which gained 2.88% to close at 317.45.
The worst performers were Hindalco Industries Ltd. (BO: HALC ) which was down 2.91% to 133.50 in late trade, NTPC Limited (BO: NTPC ) which lost 2.47% to settle at 138.00 and Bharti Airtel Ltd. (BO: BRTI ) which was down 2.30% to 382.50 at the close.
Rising stocks outnumbered declining ones by 943 to 484 and 7 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 456 rose and 236 declined, while 1 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
The India Vix , which measures the implied volatility of S&P CNX Nifty options, was up 0.68% to 20.6850 a new 1-month high.
Gold for June delivery was up 0.08% or 1.00 to $1193.40 a troy ounce. Elsewhere in commodities trading, Crude oil for delivery in June rose 0.96% or 0.58 to hit $61.34 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract rose 0.59% or 0.40 to trade at $67.78 a barrel.
The US Dollar Index was down 0.14% at 94.57.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.