The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P CNX Nifty were Tech Mahindra Limited (NSE: TEML ), which rose 3.48% or 21.55 points to trade at 640.80 at the close. HCL Technologies Ltd (NSE: HCLT ) added 2.78% or 25.95 points to end at 960.10 and Housing Development Finance Corp. (NSE: HDFC ) was up 2.38% or 29.50 points to 1270.05 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Bajaj Auto Limited (NSE: BAJA ), which fell 2.33% or 51.25 points to trade at 2151.35 in late trade. Cairn India Limited (NSE: CAIL ) declined 1.91% or 3.85 points to end at 197.20 and TATA STEEL LIMITED (NSE: TISC ) down 1.91% or 7.05 points to 361.30.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were Housing Development Finance Corp. (BO: HDFC ) which rose 2.11% to 1267.30, Wipro Ltd. (BO: WIPR ) which was up 2.03% to settle at 564.10 and Tata Consultancy Services Ltd. (BO: TCS ) which gained 1.82% to close at 2557.55.
The worst performers were Bajaj Auto Limited (BO: BAJA ) which was down 2.22% to 2150.50 in late trade, TATA STEEL LIMITED (BO: TISC ) which lost 1.85% to settle at 361.35 and Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd. (BO: BHEL ) which was down 1.51% to 231.30 at the close.
Falling stocks outnumbered advancing ones by 731 to 697 and 12 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 351 fell and 334 advanced, while 2 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
Shares in Cairn India Limited (NSE: CAIL ) fell to 5-year lows; losing 1.91% or 3.85 to 197.20.
The India Vix , which measures the implied volatility of S&P CNX Nifty options, was down 3.02% to 17.7175.
Gold for June delivery was up 0.11% or 1.30 to $1208.00 a troy ounce. Elsewhere in commodities trading, Crude oil for delivery in July rose 1.11% or 0.65 to hit $58.63 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract rose 1.42% or 0.91 to trade at $64.93 a barrel.
The US Dollar Index was up 0.28% at 95.64.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.