The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P CNX Nifty were Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd. (NSE: MAHM ), which rose 4.12% or 51.60 points to trade at 1305.55 at the close. Bank Of Baroda (NSE: BOB ) added 2.49% or 3.45 points to end at 142.10 and Oil And Natural Gas Corporation Ltd (NSE: ONGC ) was up 2.01% or 6.30 points to 319.15 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Tata Motors Ltd. (NSE: TAMO ), which fell 2.78% or 12.40 points to trade at 433.05 in late trade. Zee Entertainment Enterprises Ltd. (NSE: ZEE ) declined 1.99% or 6.90 points to end at 340.10 and POWER GRID CORPORATION OF INDIA (NSE: PGRD ) down 1.37% or 1.95 points to 140.00.
The top performers on the BSE Sensex 30 were Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd. (BO: MAHM ) which rose 4.53% to 1308.50, Maruti Suzuki India Ltd. (BO: MRTI ) which was up 2.75% to settle at 3960.00 and Housing Development Finance Corp. (BO: HDFC ) which gained 2.29% to close at 1237.45.
The worst performers were Tata Motors Ltd. (BO: TAMO ) which was down 2.82% to 432.90 in late trade, Tata Power Co. Ltd (BO: TTPW ) which lost 1.30% to settle at 72.15 and Gail (India) Ltd. (BO: GAIL ) which was down 0.94% to 395.40 at the close.
Rising stocks outnumbered declining ones by 776 to 660 and 12 ended unchanged; on the Bombay Stock Exchange, 410 rose and 331 declined, while 1 ended unchanged on the India National Stock Exchange.
Shares in Maruti Suzuki India Ltd. (BO: MRTI ) rose to all time highs; up 2.75% or 105.90 to 3960.00.
The India Vix , which measures the implied volatility of S&P CNX Nifty options, was down 5.81% to 15.0850 a new 1-month low.
Gold for August delivery was down 0.18% or 2.20 to $1199.80 a troy ounce. Elsewhere in commodities trading, Crude oil for delivery in August fell 1.08% or 0.66 to hit $60.16 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract fell 1.35% or 0.87 to trade at $63.39 a barrel.
The US Dollar Index was up 0.38% at 94.57.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.