Germany shares higher at close of trade; DAX up 1.08%
Investing.com – Germany equities were higher at the close on Thursday, as gains in the Technology , Basic Resources and Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in Frankfurt, the DAX gained 1.08% to hit a new 52-week high, while the MDAX index gained 0.29%, and the TecDAX index added 1.23%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the DAX were Deutsche Bank AG NA O.N. (DE: DBKGn ), which rose 5.36% or 0.925 points to trade at 18.170 at the close. Infineon Technologies AG NA O.N. (DE: IFXGn ) added 4.00% or 0.630 points to end at 16.390 and Deutsche Boerse AG Z.UMT. (DE: DB11 ) was up 2.79% or 2.15 points to 79.30 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Vonovia SE (DE: VNAn ), which lost 2.10% or 0.64 points to trade at 29.54 in late trade. RWE AG ST O.N. (DE: RWEG ) declined 1.84% or 0.210 points to end at 11.180 and Beiersdorf AG O.N. (DE: BEIG ) shed 0.49% or 0.390 points to 79.150.
The top performers on the MDAX were MTU Aero Engines NA O.N. (DE: MTXGn ) which rose 3.07% to 107.300, Leoni AG (DE: LEOGn ) which was up 3.05% to settle at 33.105 and Airbus Group SE (F: AIRG ) which gained 2.72% to close at 64.099.
The worst performers were Deutsche Wohnen AG Inh (DE: DWNG ) which was down 2.32% to 28.160 in late trade, Steinhoff International Holdings NV (DE: SNHG ) which lost 2.17% to settle at 4.73 and Deutsche Euroshop AG (DE: DEQGn ) which was down 1.58% to 37.280 at the close.
The top performers on the TecDAX were Alix Resources Corp (F: 37N2 ) which rose 10.34% to 0.032, Siltronic AG (DE: WAFGn ) which was up 7.96% to settle at 42.335 and United Internet AG NA (DE: UTDI ) which gained 4.97% to close at 37.060.
The worst performers were S&T AG (F: SANT1 ) which was down 0.73% to 8.646 in late trade, Nordex SE O.N. (DE: NDXG ) which lost 0.32% to settle at 18.735 and Slm Solution G (DE: AM3D ) which was down 0.23% to 32.80 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 488 to 285 and 16 ended unchanged on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange.
The DAX volatility index , which measures the implied volatility of DAX options, was down 7.70% to 15.38 a new 52-week low.
In commodities trading, Gold for February delivery was down 3.14% or 36.55 to $1127.15 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January fell 0.61% or 0.31 to hit $50.73 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract fell 0.33% or 0.18 to trade at $53.72 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 1.38% to 1.0389, while EUR/GBP fell 0.17% to 0.8367.
The US Dollar Index was up 1.28% at 103.34.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or