Deals of the day-Mergers and acquisitions
(Adds Reliance Communications , IAG; Updates Novatek)
Dec 28 (Reuters) - The following bids, mergers, acquisitions and disposals were reported by 1445 GMT on Thursday:
** Brazilian rental car firm Cia de Locação das Américas LCAM3.SA and rival Unidas SA announced a cash and stock deal to create Brazil's second-largest car rental company. British IAG ICAG.L is in exclusive talks to buy Niki, Air Berlin's AB1.DE insolvent Austrian airline, a source close to the process said, after Niki's administrator said that one bidder out of four remained. Anil Ambani's debt-laden Reliance Communications Ltd RLCM.NS has signed an agreement to sell its wireless assets to Reliance Jio Infocomm Ltd RELIB.UL , the telecoms arm of elder brother and billionaire Mukesh Ambani's oil conglomerate Reliance Industries Ltd RELI.NS , the Indian companies said in separate statements. Poland's biggest oil refiner PKN Orlen PKN.WA offered 380 crowns for each remaining share in its Czech downstream oil unit Unipetrol UNPE.PR . China's commerce ministry said that it has conditionally approved the takeover by U.S. medical equipment supplier Becton Dickinson BDX.N of its U.S. peer C R Bard BCR.N , paving the way for the $24 billion deal to close. The founding family of Japanese petroleum company, Idemitsu Kosan 5019.T , locked in a battle with the firm's management over a proposed integration with a smaller rival, said it had further increased its stake in the Japanese refiner by about half a percentage point to about 28.5 percent. Dutch insurer Aegon NV AEGN.AS said it would sell part of the remaining stake it holds in U.S. life insurance unit to France-based property and life reinsurer Scor SE SCOR.PA . A unit of Brazil's antitrust watchdog has recommended the conditional approval of Brazilian bank Itaú Unibanco Holding SA's ITUB4.SA purchase of a stake in financial services firm XP Investimentos SA, according to a statement issued. Russia's top non-state gas producer Novatek NVTK.MM may bid for gas fields owned by Russian diamond miner Alrosa ALRS.MM , but oil giant Rosneft ROSN.MM may stay away from the auction, citing tight deadlines, the companies signaled. Hedge fund Brigade Capital Management, a top shareholder in Kindred Healthcare Inc KND.N , said the deal by U.S. health insurer Humana Inc (NYSE: HUM ) HUM.N and two private equity firms to buy Kindred was "disappointing and grossly inadequate."
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or