Canada shares higher at close of trade; S&P/TSX Composite up 0.29%
Investing.com – Canada equities were higher at the close on Wednesday, as gains in the IT , Industrials and Consumer Staples sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in Toronto, the S&P/TSX Composite added 0.29%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/TSX Composite were Cronos Group Inc (TSX: CRON ), which rose 11.64% or 2.2500 points to trade at 21.5800 at the close. Bombardier Inc (TSX: BBDb ) added 9.18% or 0.180 points to end at 2.140 and Shopify Inc (TSX: SHOP ) was up 6.60% or 24.290 points to 392.240 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Peyto Exploration&Development Corp (TSX: PEY ), which lost 7.49% or 0.35 points to trade at 4.32 in late trade. Crescent Point Energy Corp . (TSX: CPG ) declined 7.45% or 0.33 points to end at 4.10 and Precision Drilling Corporation (TSX: PD ) shed 6.98% or 0.18 points to 2.40.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 619 to 478 and 103 ended unchanged on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
The S&P/TSX 60 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/TSX Composite options, was up 2.54% to 14.95.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was up 0.45% or 6.00 to $1334.70 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July fell 3.29% or 1.76 to hit $51.72 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract fell 0.02% or 0.01 to trade at $60.51 a barrel.
CAD/USD was down 0.02% to 0.7451, while CAD/EUR fell 0.02% to 0.6640.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.30% at 97.287.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or