Australia shares lower at close of trade; S&P/ASX 200 down 1.17%
Investing.com – Australia equities were lower at the close on Monday, as losses in the Real Estate Investment , Utilities and Healthcare sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 lost 1.17%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were Speedcast International Ltd (ASX: SDA ), which rose 6.39% or 0.115 points to trade at 1.915 at the close. Costa Group Holdings Ltd (ASX: CGC ) added 3.18% or 0.130 points to end at 4.220 and Clinuvel Pharmaceuticals Ltd (ASX: CUV ) was up 2.34% or 0.780 points to 34.170 in late trade.
Biggest losers included G8 Education Ltd (ASX: GEM ), which lost 9.77% or 0.300 points to trade at 2.770 in late trade. Eclipx Group Ltd (ASX: ECX ) declined 4.84% or 0.075 points to end at 1.475 and Hub24 Ltd (ASX: HUB ) shed 3.85% or 0.450 points to 11.250.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 660 to 542 and 385 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was up 14.57% to 11.772.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was up 0.45% or 6.25 to $1406.35 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August rose 0.16% or 0.09 to hit $57.60 a barrel, while the September Brent oil contract rose 0.20% or 0.13 to trade at $64.36 a barrel.
AUD/USD was up 0.06% to 0.6984, while AUD/JPY fell 0.01% to 75.67.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.04% at 96.850.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or