At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 fell 0.87% to hit a new 6-month low.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were Western Areas Ltd (AX: WSA ), which rose 5.80% or 0.160 points to trade at 2.920 at the close. A2 Milk Company Ltd (AX: A2M ) added 4.99% or 0.300 points to end at 6.310 and Independence Group NL (AX: IGO ) was up 4.11% or 0.150 points to 3.800 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Southern Cross Media Group Ltd (AX: SXL ), which lost 4.37% or 0.050 points to trade at 1.095 in late trade. oOh!Media Ltd (AX: OML ) declined 4.15% or 0.180 points to end at 4.160 and Aconex Ltd (AX: ACX ) shed 4.01% or 0.160 points to 3.830.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 636 to 519 and 329 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was up 7.76% to 11.755.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.38% or 4.85 to $1279.45 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in November fell 0.65% or 0.33 to hit $50.09 a barrel, while the December Brent oil contract fell 0.50% or 0.28 to trade at $55.72 a barrel.
AUD/USD was up 0.37% to 0.7864, while AUD/JPY rose 0.09% to 88.50.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.22% at 93.21.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.