At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 declined 0.55%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were New Hope Corporation Ltd (ASX: NHC ), which rose 9.02% or 0.230 points to trade at 2.780 at the close. Costa Group Holdings Ltd (ASX: CGC ) added 5.30% or 0.210 points to end at 4.170 and Beach Energy Ltd (ASX: BPT ) was up 4.81% or 0.090 points to 1.960 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Syrah Resources Ltd (ASX: SYR ), which lost 9.00% or 0.086 points to trade at 0.870 in late trade. Ardent Leisure Ltd (ASX: ALG ) declined 8.77% or 0.100 points to end at 1.040 and Technology One Ltd (ASX: TNE ) shed 7.02% or 0.580 points to 7.680.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 645 to 628 and 382 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was down 1.90% to 12.781 a new 1-month low.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was down 0.13% or 1.75 to $1395.15 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August fell 0.14% or 0.08 to hit $56.99 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract fell 0.14% or 0.09 to trade at $64.36 a barrel.
AUD/USD was down 0.03% to 0.6920, while AUD/JPY unchanged 0.00% to 74.27.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.10% at 96.232.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.