Australia shares lower at close of trade; S&P/ASX 200 down 0.54%
Investing.com – Australia equities were lower at the close on Friday, as losses in the Utilities , Real Estate Investment and Financials sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 fell 0.54%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were Seven West Media Ltd (AX: SWM ), which rose 7.20% or 0.048 points to trade at 0.708 at the close. Sirtex Medical Ltd (AX: SRX ) added 5.67% or 1.580 points to end at 29.430 and Wisetech Global Ltd (AX: WTC ) was up 5.99% or 0.690 points to 12.200 in late trade.
Biggest losers included APN Outdoor Group Ltd (AX: APO ), which lost 5.32% or 0.295 points to trade at 5.245 in late trade. Mayne Pharma Group Ltd (AX: MYX ) declined 3.23% or 0.025 points to end at 0.750 and Mineral Resources Ltd (AX: MIN ) shed 3.27% or 0.665 points to 19.675.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 654 to 596 and 359 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was down 3.51% to 11.610.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was down 0.02% or 0.30 to $1312.40 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June rose 0.01% or 0.01 to hit $68.44 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract rose 0.03% or 0.02 to trade at $73.64 a barrel.
AUD/USD was up 0.09% to 0.7538, while AUD/JPY rose 0.01% to 82.25.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.04% at 92.32.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or