At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 rose 0.42%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were A2 Milk Company Ltd (AX: A2M ), which rose 6.50% or 0.240 points to trade at 3.930 at the close. Southern Cross Media Group Ltd (AX: SXL ) added 5.98% or 0.070 points to end at 1.240 and Orocobre Ltd (AX: ORE ) was up 4.14% or 0.145 points to 3.645 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Flexigroup Ltd (AX: FXL ), which lost 6.76% or 0.115 points to trade at 1.585 in late trade. Mcmillan Shakespeare Ltd (AX: MMS ) declined 6.19% or 0.865 points to end at 13.105 and Woolworths Ltd (AX: WOW ) shed 3.66% or 0.960 points to 25.290.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 628 to 577 and 385 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was down 1.90% to 12.122.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was down 0.24% or 3.03 to $1253.47 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August fell 0.29% or 0.13 to hit $44.84 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract fell 0.27% or 0.13 to trade at $47.24 a barrel.
AUD/USD was down 0.10% to 0.7613, while AUD/JPY rose 0.02% to 84.51.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.05% at 96.91.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.