At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 rose 0.31%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were Cleanaway Waste Management Ltd (AX: CWY ), which rose 15.00% or 0.135 points to trade at 1.035 at the close. Ardent Leisure Group (AX: AAD ) added 10.87% or 0.250 points to end at 2.550 and Western Areas Ltd (AX: WSA ) was up 6.76% or 0.200 points to 3.160 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Whitehaven Coal Ltd (AX: WHC ), which lost 11.32% or 0.240 points to trade at 1.880 in late trade. Medibank Private Ltd (AX: MPL ) declined 5.70% or 0.170 points to end at 2.810 and IPH Ltd (AX: IPH ) shed 4.92% or 0.300 points to 5.800.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 648 to 432 and 312 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was down 1.53% to 11.729 a new 52-week low.
In commodities trading, Gold for December delivery was down 0.36% or 4.85 to $1352.35 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in September rose 0.68% or 0.33 to hit $48.55 a barrel, while the October Brent oil contract rose 0.26% or 0.13 to trade at $51.02 a barrel.
AUD/USD was down 0.57% to 0.7642, while AUD/JPY fell 0.22% to 76.61.
The US Dollar Index was up 0.21% at 94.31.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.