At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 added 0.29% to hit a new 52-week high.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were Vocus Fpo (AX: VOC ), which rose 6.42% or 0.260 points to trade at 4.310 at the close. St Barbara Ltd (AX: SBM ) added 5.00% or 0.105 points to end at 2.205 and Saracen Mineral Holdings Ltd (AX: SAR ) was up 4.43% or 0.045 points to 1.060 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Orocobre Ltd (AX: ORE ), which lost 2.97% or 0.130 points to trade at 4.240 in late trade. Macquarie Atlas Roads Group (AX: MQA ) declined 2.19% or 0.110 points to end at 4.910 and Qube Holdings Ltd (AX: QUB ) shed 2.05% or 0.050 points to 2.390.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 563 to 437 and 326 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was down 1.16% to 12.728.
In commodities trading, Gold for February delivery was up 0.92% or 10.70 to $1176.00 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in February fell 0.06% or 0.03 to hit $53.23 a barrel, while the March Brent oil contract fell 0.14% or 0.08 to trade at $56.38 a barrel.
AUD/USD was up 0.51% to 0.7319, while AUD/JPY fell 0.46% to 85.00.
The US Dollar Index was down 0.60% at 101.88.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.