At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 gained 0.28%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were Programmed Maintenance Services Ltd (AX: PRG ), which rose 17.65% or 0.285 points to trade at 1.900 at the close. Whitehaven Coal Ltd (AX: WHC ) added 9.67% or 0.073 points to end at 0.823 and Iluka Resources Ltd (AX: ILU ) was up 7.04% or 0.420 points to 6.390 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Spotless Fp (AX: SPO ), which lost 9.48% or 0.110 points to trade at 1.050 in late trade. Suncorp Group Ltd (AX: SUN ) declined 4.32% or 0.570 points to end at 12.620 and Ardent Leisure Group (AX: AAD ) shed 3.66% or 0.085 points to 2.235.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 553 to 433 and 316 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was up 0.16% to 16.885 a new 1-month low.
In commodities trading, Gold for June delivery was up 0.51% or 6.25 to $1230.05 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July rose 0.67% or 0.33 to hit $49.89 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract rose 0.74% or 0.37 to trade at $50.11 a barrel.
AUD/USD was up 0.25% to 0.7216, while AUD/JPY fell 0.28% to 79.09.
The US Dollar Index was down 0.26% at 95.15.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.