At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 added 0.06% to hit a new 52-week high.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were Sirtex Medical Ltd (AX: SRX ), which rose 3.49% or 0.490 points to trade at 14.520 at the close. Blackmores Ltd (AX: BKL ) added 3.38% or 3.610 points to end at 110.320 and Asaleo Care (AX: AHY ) was up 3.31% or 0.050 points to 1.560 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Ardent Leisure Group (AX: AAD ), which lost 4.70% or 0.110 points to trade at 2.230 in late trade. Nextdc Ltd (AX: NXT ) declined 3.24% or 0.120 points to end at 3.580 and Cleanaway Waste Management Ltd (AX: CWY ) shed 3.20% or 0.040 points to 1.210.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 507 to 470 and 327 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was down 0.98% to 12.878.
In commodities trading, Gold for February delivery was down 0.13% or 1.50 to $1160.50 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in February rose 0.80% or 0.42 to hit $52.75 a barrel, while the March Brent oil contract rose 0.78% or 0.43 to trade at $55.90 a barrel.
AUD/USD was up 0.29% to 0.7240, while AUD/JPY rose 0.60% to 85.52.
The US Dollar Index was up 0.07% at 103.31.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.