At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 added 1.12% to hit a new 5-year high.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were APN Outdoor Group Ltd (AX: APO ), which rose 12.39% or 0.725 points to trade at 6.575 at the close. Appen Ltd (AX: APX ) added 6.65% or 0.865 points to end at 13.865 and Bellamys Australia Ltd (AX: BAL ) was up 6.21% or 1.050 points to 17.960 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Ramsay Health Care Ltd (AX: RHC ), which lost 8.16% or 5.070 points to trade at 57.100 in late trade. TPG Telecom Ltd (AX: TPM ) declined 2.76% or 0.150 points to end at 5.290 and Vocus Group Ltd (AX: VOC ) shed 2.34% or 0.060 points to 2.500.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 734 to 521 and 414 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was down 1.60% to 11.746.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was down 0.67% or 8.60 to $1265.90 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August fell 0.29% or 0.19 to hit $65.52 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract fell 0.52% or 0.39 to trade at $74.35 a barrel.
AUD/USD was down 0.19% to 0.7354, while AUD/JPY rose 0.11% to 81.40.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.23% at 95.00.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.