At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 gained 1.02% to hit a new 5-year high.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were Beach Energy Ltd (AX: BPT ), which rose 6.42% or 0.070 points to trade at 1.160 at the close. Platinum Asset Management Ltd (AX: PTM ) added 5.93% or 0.440 points to end at 7.860 and Western Areas Ltd (AX: WSA ) was up 5.25% or 0.160 points to 3.210 in late trade.
Biggest losers included A2 Milk Company Ltd (AX: A2M ), which lost 4.90% or 0.350 points to trade at 6.800 in late trade. Harvey Norman Holdings Ltd (AX: HVN ) declined 2.39% or 0.090 points to end at 3.680 and Ardent Leisure Group (AX: AAD ) shed 1.58% or 0.030 points to 1.870.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 752 to 445 and 350 ended unchanged on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was up 5.02% to 11.688.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.15% or 1.89 to $1279.71 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in December fell 0.03% or 0.02 to hit $57.33 a barrel, while the January Brent oil contract fell 0.06% or 0.04 to trade at $64.23 a barrel.
AUD/USD was down 0.16% to 0.7680, while AUD/JPY rose 0.08% to 87.53.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.06% at 94.68.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.