At the close in Sydney, the S&P/ASX 200 rose 0.05%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the S&P/ASX 200 were Whitehaven Coal Ltd (AX: WHC ), which rose 6.44% or 0.270 points to trade at 4.460 at the close. Ardent Leisure Ltd (AX: ALG ) added 3.23% or 0.040 points to end at 1.280 and Treasury Wine Estates Ltd (AX: TWE ) was up 3.14% or 0.510 points to 16.750 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Galaxy Resources Ltd (AX: GXY ), which lost 11.62% or 0.215 points to trade at 1.635 in late trade. Orocobre Ltd (AX: ORE ) declined 6.13% or 0.220 points to end at 3.370 and Australian Pharma Industries Ltd (AX: API ) shed 4.93% or 0.075 points to 1.445.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 0 to 0 on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
The S&P/ASX 200 VIX , which measures the implied volatility of S&P/ASX 200 options, was down 1.87% to 10.914.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was down 0.01% or 0.01 to $1277.90 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May rose 0.38% or 0.24 to hit $64.00 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract fell 0.04% or 0.03 to trade at $71.95 a barrel.
AUD/USD was up 0.02% to 0.7151, while AUD/JPY fell 0.01% to 80.04.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.49% at 97.132.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.