State Bank of Pakistan to maintain policy rate at 15%
Islamabad, Oct 11 (IANS) The State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) has announced to maintain the policy rate at 15 per cent as part of its monetary policy.
"Based on currently available information, the gross domestic product (GDP) growth could fall to around 2 per cent in the fiscal year (FY) 2023 (from July 2022 to June 2023), compared to the previous forecast of 3 to 4 per cent as the recent floods have altered the macroeconomic outlook," the SBP said in its monetary policy statement on Monday.
The central bank noted the continued deceleration in economic activity as well as the decline in headline inflation and the current account deficit, reports Xinhua news agency.
It added that the existing monetary policy stance strikes an appropriate balance between managing inflation and maintaining growth in the wake of the floods.
The impact on the current account deficit is likely to be muted, with pressures from the domestic market importing high-priced food and cotton largely offset by slower domestic demand and lower global commodity prices, according to the central bank.
The SBP said that the growth prospects have weakened in the country, which will reduce demand-side pressures and suppress underlying inflation.
In light of these offsetting considerations, the bank considered it prudent to leave monetary policy settings unchanged at this stage, according to the statement.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or