S&P 500 Tumbles as Tech, Energy Lead Selloff Amid Global Growth Concerns
By Yasin Ebrahim
Investing.com -- The S&P 500 slumped Monday, paced by a selloff in energy and tech as investors continued to abandon stocks amid concerns about an inflation-led slowdown in global growth.
The S&P 500 fell 2.6%, the Dow Jones Industrial Average slid 1.4%, or 463 points, and the Nasdaq slumped 3.7%.
Energy fell more than 7% pressured by a stronger dollar and fresh fears over weakening demand from China as Shanghai reportedly intensified Covid-19 lockdown measures.
APA (NASDAQ: APA ), Devon Energy (NYSE: DVN ), and Marathon Oil (NYSE: MRO ) were among the biggest decliners, all down more than 8%.
The recent China lockdowns are expected to slow growth in the world’s second largest economy, adding to fears of a significant slowdown in the global economy at a time when central banks are on the road to tightening monetary policy to rein in inflation.
“The Covid-zero policy [in China] has throttled household spending and has not left the productive side of the economy unscathed,” Morgan Stanley said. “The risk of an extended contraction is plain to see,” it added.
Tech, meanwhile, struggled to find its footing as investors appear wary of buying the dip even as Treasury yields took a breather.
Meta (NASDAQ: FB ), Google-parent Alphabet (NASDAQ: GOOGL ), Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT ) and Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL ) were down more than 2%, while Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN ) slid more than 3%.
The selling in Microsoft took its valuation below $2 trillion for the first time since June 2021.
The earnings front didn’t offer much to help improve investor sentiment as Palantir Technologies (NYSE: PLTR ) plunged more than 18% after reporting quarterly results and guidance that fell short of analysts’ estimates.
BioNTech SE (NASDAQ: BNTX ), however, bucked the broader market trend lower after its better-than-expected first-quarter results sent its shares more than 3% higher.
Crypto-related stocks including Coinbase (NASDAQ: COIN ), Marathon Digital (NASDAQ: MARA ), and Riot Blockchain (NASDAQ: RIOT ) were down double digits after bitcoin fell to its lowest level since June.
A sign of the negative sentiment on Wall Street, consumer staples, a defensive corner of the market, was the only sector in the green.
"Consumer Staples defensive characteristics make this sector potentially attractive during market volatility and as the economy slows," Wells Fargo said.
In other news, Uber Technologies (NYSE: UBER ) fell more than 8% as the ride-hailing company reportedly plans to scale back hiring and cut its market marketing and incentives spending, CNBC reported, citing an email from chief executive Dara Khosrowshahi to staff on Sunday.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or