By Yasin Ebrahim
Investing.com -- The S&P 500 slipped Tuesday on growing jitters about a U.S. default after lawmakers ended another round of debt-ceiling talks without a deal.
U.S. lawmakers failed to reach an agreement Monday on how to raise the U.S. government's debt ceiling after another round of talks Lowe’s Companies Inc(NYSE: LOW )Tuesday. The lack of progress comes just days ahead of June 1, when Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen warned the U.S. could default on its debt repayments.
Both Biden and McCarthy, however, have touted optimism about reaching a deal to avoid a default.
“We believe the U.S. debt default risk to be low, as both political parties have strong incentives to raise the debt ceiling, but the rekindled debate will likely increase volatility in both fixed income and equity markets,” Wells Fargo said in a note.
Tech was one of the worst performing sectors on the day, pressured by a jump in Treasury yields, with Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), Alphabet (NASDAQ: GOOGL ) and Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) leading to the downside.
Retailers were mostly lower, paced by a more than 2% slide in Lowe’s Companies Inc (NYSE: LOW ) after the home improvement retailer reported lower first-quarter sales and cut its full-year outlook as a weaker consumer and lower lumber prices weigh.
Regional banks added to gains from a day earlier, underpinned by an 8% rise in PacWest Bancorp (NASDAQ: PACW ) after the U.S. lender announced earlier this week it would sell $2.6 billion of loans to boost its finances.
Dallas Federal Reserve President Lorie Logan on Tuesday said the central bank’s “liquidity backstop should be available whenever" banks need it.
The remarks come a day after Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis President James Bullard said he expects two more rate hikes would be needed to stymie inflation.
Despite the hawkish remarks, about 88% of traders continue to believe that the Fed will pause in June, according to Investing.com’s.
On the economic front, services activity rose more than expected in April to a 12-month high, threatening to boost inflation.
In other news, Yelp Inc (NYSE: YELP ) jumped more than 6% after activist investor TCS (NS: TCS ) Capital Management reportedly took a stake in service-recommendation company and is pushing it to explore strategic options, including a sale.
Virgin Orbit, meanwhile, sold its assets in a bankruptcy auction to Rocket Lab USA, Inc. (NASDAQ: RKLB ), Stratolaunch and Vast’s Launcher.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.