By Yasin Ebrahim
Investing.com -- The S&P 500 rallied Tuesday, as data pointing to slowing labor demand added to expectations that the Federal Reserve may ease the pace of monetary policy tightening.
Job openings fell to the lowest since June last year, and were “very broad-based and spanned most industries and all business sizes,” Jefferies said in a note.
If the slowdown in labor demand continues and core inflation, which excludes food and energy prices, “falls as much as we expect the Fed will not be hiking by 125bp by the year end,” Pantheon Macroeconomics said Tuesday.
Treasury yields continued their retreat in the wake of bets of a less hawkish Fed, helping growth sectors of the economy including tech to build on Monday’s gain.
Twitter (NYSE: TWTR ), meanwhile, jumped more than 12% as Elon Musk is reportedly set to end his legal battle with the social media giant and proceed to acquire the firm at the previously agreed $54.20 per share.
The u-turn from Musk is “a clear sign that Musk recognized heading into Delaware Court that the chances of winning [against] Twitter board was highly unlikely,” Wedbush said in a note.
Energy stocks were the biggest sector outperformer as oil prices climbed 3% a day ahead of an OPEC+ meeting Wednesday that is expected to culminate in a decision to curb oil production.
In other news, Rivian Automotive (NASDAQ: RIVN ) jumped 12% after the electric pickup truck maker said it remained on track to produce 25,000 vehicles in 2022.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
We’re still in the early stages of cryptocurrency, so there are a lot of unknowns. This makes cryptocurrency investing highly risky and also potentially rewarding for clients who have the right risk profile.So i personally recommend Mrs MILENA AYRTON for crytocurrency trading and Forex trading with no lose at all ,all you get with her guidelines is profit all day.You can as well reach her on instagram with *milena_ayrton_fxtrade* .Like 1
Job report has nothing to do with inflation which is highest coz of energy prices caused by Russia ukraine war. Lesser job is additional burden on worsening economyLike 0