By Aditya Raghunath
Investing.com -- Realty stocks are back in focus with the economy opening up. The government had unleashed a slew of measures to prop up the sector during the pandemic and buyers lapped it up. Now, as reopening starts after the second pandemic wave, this should only boost the sector stocks.
Realty companies in Mumbai and Delhi have traditionally been given higher preference by investors and they hold over 50% of the weightage in the Nifty Realty Index too. But a quick look at the stocks in this space shows that Southern (NYSE: SO ) realty stocks have been flying under the radar, and have outperformed the realty index. Maybe it’s time to take a look at them:
- Nifty Realty , up 19% in 2021.
- Prestige Estates Projects Ltd (NS: PREG ), based in Bangalore, up 31% in 2021.
- Sobha Developers Ltd. (NS: SOBH ), based in Bangalore, up 43% in 2021.
- Brigade Enterprises Ltd (NS: BRIG ), based in Bangalore, up 23% in 2021.
- Oberoi Realty Ltd (NS: OEBO ), based in Mumbai, up 15% in 2021.
- DLF Ltd (NS: DLF ), based in Gurgaon, up 31% in 2021.
South India is growing fast as a hub for IT/ITeS sectors as well as for companies looking to set up manufacturing units in the region. For example, the IT industry accounts for 25% of Karnataka’s GDP.
Investors should be selective about the stocks they choose to invest in.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.