Islamabad, June 1 (IANS) A Pakistani soldier was killed in firing by unknown terrorists in Pakistan's northwest Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, an Army statement said.
The incident happened in North Waziristan district where the terrorists attempted to disrupt the ongoing polio eradication campaign by firing on the members of the polio team, the military's media wing Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) said on Wednesday in the statement.
"Security forces of Pakistan are determined to eliminate the menace of terrorism and such sacrifices of our brave soldiers further strengthen our resolve," the statement added.
A five-day anti-polio drive in 12 districts of the province kicked off on Monday, with an aim to administer vaccines to more than 3.5 million children under five years of age, Xinhua news agency reported.
According to a recent report from the WHO, all the new polio cases reported in Pakistan since January 2021 are from seven polio-endemic districts in the southern part of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.