Small ransomware groups to flourish in 2022 second half
New Delhi, Aug 6 (IANS) Ransomware will become a much more fragmented ecosystem in the second half of this year, with many small and medium groups instead of a few large ones to hide in plain sight more effectively, a new research has said.
Hackers will continue to breach and hijack crypto assets this year.
"In addition, we will see initial attacks in the metaverse that will exploit smart contract vulnerabilities," said the report by cyber-security firm Check Point Software (NASDAQ: CHKP ).
There has been a 42 per cent increase in cyber attacks globally, with ransomware becoming number one threat.
Ransomware groups have become more structured and operate like regular businesses, with set targets to hit, as cyber attacks become state-level weapons.
"We have seen huge increases in cyberattacks against organisations in all sectors and all countries this year. Unfortunately, this will only get worse especially with ransomware now being the number one threat to organisations," said Maya Horowitz, VP Research at Check Point Software.
Due to the implementation of internet macros being blocked by default in Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT ) office, the more sophisticated malware families will accelerate the development of new infection chains, with different file types that are password protected to prevent detection as sophisticated social engineering attacks increase.
"Hacktivist groups will continue to align their attacks with the agenda of their chosen nation state, particularly as the Russia-Ukraine war is still ongoing," the report noted.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or