S.Korean EV battery makers' market share dips in 2022
Seoul, Jan 4 (IANS) Three South Korean electric vehicle (EV) battery makers saw their global market share sink in the first 11 months of 2022 from a year earlier amid robust growth of Chinese rivals, industry data showed on Wednesday.
The trio -- LG Energy Solution Ltd., SK Innovation Co. and Samsung (KS: 005930 ) SDI Co. -- held a combined 23.1 percent of the global EV battery market in the January-November period, down 7.4 percentage points from a year earlier, according to the data from market researcher SNE Research.
The market portion of LG Energy Solution fell to 12.3 percent from 19.6 percent during the period, with its global ranking dropping to third place from second. LG Energy Solution counts Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA ), Volkswagen (ETR: VOWG_p ) and Audi as its clients, reports Yonhap news agency.
SK On, the battery-making subsidiary of SK Innovation Co., suffered a 0.1-percentage-point decline to 5.9 percent but retained the No. 5 spot.
Samsung SDI, which supplies batteries for the BMW iX and Fiat 500, saw its market share remain flat at 5 percent, ranking sixth.
The tumble in the South Korean firms' market share contrasted with the surge by Chinese firms, including top player CATL whose share jumped to 37.1 percent from 32.2 percent over the cited period.
CATL and two other Chinese players -- BYD and CALB -- altogether accounted for 54.7 percent of the global market share, up from 43.7 percent a year ago.
Chinese EV battery makers have been leading the world market thanks to strong domestic demand and Beijing's policy support.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or