Sirius XM Stock Downgraded at Morgan Stanley on Macro Headwinds
Morgan Stanley analyst Benjamin Swinburne downgraded Sirius XM (NASDAQ: SIRI ) to Underweight from Equal Weight with a $7.00 per share price target.
The rating cut comes on the heels of rising risks related to self pay net additions that reflect macro headwinds in the auto market. Moreover, lower estimates are now sitting below both the guidance and consensus.
“While the cable/satellite industry can be appropriately characterized as offering investors relatively defensive business models, SiriusXM is the most cyclical in the group as a function of its exposure to US auto sales. In addition, advertising has taken on a larger role as a growth
driver since its 2019 acquisition of Pandora (OTC: PANDY ),” Swinburne wrote in a client note.
Morgan Stanley’s model is now closer to the bear case than the bull case amid slowing growth.
“A highly attractive business model, SiriusXM appears to nonetheless be maturing and organic growth is slowing. In the five years prior to the pandemic, adjusted EBITDA grew at a 10-11% CAGR while we expect that CAGR over the next five years to be 3-4%. Though its multiple has already compressed from the pre-pandemic days, its relative multiple vs. the industry group (CMCSA/CHTR) has not,” the analyst added.
SIRI stock price is down 1.6% today.
By Senad Karaahmetovic
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or