By Malvika Gurung
Investing.com -- Indian market indices jumped to record highs on Wednesday despite making a flat opening and tracking mixed cues from Asian peers ahead of Fed Chair Jerome Powell’s two-day testimony on the economic outlook and recent monetary policy actions scheduled for later in the day.
The 30-scrip benchmark index Sensex hit a lifetime high of 63,588.31 points on Wednesday, rising 0.41% during the intraday trade, compared to its previous peak of 63,583, scaled in December 2022.
Headline index Nifty50 hit an intraday high of 18,875.9 on June 21, 2023, only a few points away from touching its all-time high of 18887.6 points scaled six months back.
The market fear barometer India VIX rose 2.5% to 11.4 levels in the ongoing session.
In a note provided to Investing.com, S Ranganathan, Head of Research at LKP Securities stated that Sensex hit a new high on Wednesday on the back of a sustained increase in capital expenditure by the Government of India, coupled with rising manufacturing PMI.
Gains across market heavyweights including the HDFC twins, PowerGrid Corporation (NS: PGRD ), ONGC (NS: ONGC ), HDFC Life (NS: HDFL ) and Larsen & Toubro (NS: LART ) aided sentiments on Dalal Street, while metal majors JSW Steel (NS: JSTL ) and Hindalco (NS: HALC ) were the top losers on the Nifty pack.
Sectoral indices listed under the Nifty umbrella traded mixed, with Nifty Metal leading the losses and tanking over 1%, while banking and financial packs extended support to the overall market.
Nifty Bank advanced 0.11% at 11:05 am.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.