Sanofi Shares Slide After Trials of Potential Breast Cancer Drug Halted
By Scott Kanowsky
Investing.com -- Sanofi SA (EPA: SASY ) shares slid on Wednesday after the French drugmaker announced that it will halt trials of a new treatment for patients battling advanced breast cancer.
In a statement, the company said it would stop global clinical development of the medicine, known as amcenestrant, after a phase 3 study showed it was not effective enough to warrant further research.
All other studies of amcenestrant, including in early-stage breast cancer, will also be discontinued, Sanofi added.
“While we are disappointed by this outcome, our research will further the scientific understanding of endocrine therapies in people with breast cancer," said John Reed, global head of research and development at Sanofi.
In a note, analysts at Morgan Stanley called the decision a "setback for the innovation narrative" put forward by Sanofi, saying that amcenestrant had been flagged as a potentially lucrative piece in the group's drug pipeline.
The end of Sanofi's amcenestrant trials is expected to lead to a 6% negative impact on the company's estimated discounted cash flow, according to the Morgan Stanley analysts.
The decision could also have a knock-on effect on studies being conducted on similar breast cancer drugs from Sanofi rivals Roche (SIX: ROG ) and AstraZeneca PLC (LON: AZN ), the analysts added.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or