S. African Prez deploys over 3,400 soldiers to maintain peace
Johannesburg, March 20 (IANS) South African President Cyril Ramaphosa has deployed 3,474 soldiers from March 17 to April 17 to maintain peace, the country's Parliament has said.
The Parliament said in a statement that they have been informed by the President of the employment of the South African National Defense Force for service, in cooperation with the South African Police Service, for the prevention and combating of crime as well as peace maintenance, Xinhua news agency reported.
The country's opposition political party Economic Freedom Fighters has called for a national shutdown on March 20 to force President Ramaphosa to resign.
The employment of the soldiers is in line with the Constitution of South Africa, and an amount of more than 166 million rands (about $8.99 million) is expected to be incurred for this deployment, the Parliament said.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or