Russian Foreign Minister Signals Intention to Annex Southern Ukraine
By Geoffrey Smith
Investing.com -- Russia's Foreign Minister gave the clearest signal yet that the Kremlin intends to annex southern Ukraine, rather than just concentrate on the eastern regions that are now largely under its control.
Sergey Lavrov said in an interview with Russian state-owned media that "the geography has changed".
"It's no longer just about the DNR and LNR (the breakaway republics in the eastern Donbas region) but the Kherson and Zaporizhiya regions and a row of other territories," Lavrov said. "This process is ongoing, consistently and assertively."
Lavrov's comments are another clear shift in the ambitions that Moscow has communicated for what it calls a "special military operation". It had invaded Ukraine in February with the intention of seizing the capital Kyiv and overthrowing a Ukrainian government that it accuses of being "Nazi". However, after its initial attack was repelled, it switched its focus to the conquest of the Donbas region, with President Vladimir Putin saying that the saving of Russian-speaking people in that region was its overriding priority.
Lavrov pointed to the deployment of U.S.-developed long-range artillery by the Ukrainian government as the justification for the proposed annexation.
"The geographical objective will have to move from the current line, because we can't allow a direct threat to our territory in the part of Ukraine under (President Volodymyr) Zelensky or whoever replaces him," Lavrov said.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or