Today, Qualcomm (NASDAQ: QCOM ) is set to announce its Q4 earnings, projecting an EPS of $1.91 and revenues of $8.52 billion. The firm's expectations may be surpassed due to a spike in Android smartphone demand, the deployment of Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 processors, and robust iPhone 15 sales, as reported on Tuesday. Despite these possible gains, Qualcomm faces potential market share loss to Samsung (KS: 005930 ) and Huawei by 2024.
KeyBanc Capital predicts a "beat and raise" situation driven by Android rush orders. At the Snapdragon Summit 2023, Qualcomm presented new AI chips, aiming to diversify its offerings and rival Nvidia (NASDAQ: NVDA ) in generative AI. Amid persistent industry challenges, Qualcomm terminated 1,258 California-based jobs in October. Over the past quarter, Qualcomm's EPS forecasts experienced more downward than upward revisions, with revenue estimates also mostly being downgraded. Wall Street and Seeking Alpha analysts predominantly recommend a Buy rating for Qualcomm.
Qualcomm's shares have decreased by 1% YTD and are underperforming broader indexes. However, its attractive valuation may be boosted if it surpasses its projected Q4 earnings of $1.92 per share and sales of $8.55 billion as indicated by the Zacks ESP.
In contrast, Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL ) has seen an impressive stock performance with a surge of 31% YTD. It is expected to report an 8% YoY increase in Q4 earnings at $1.39 per share despite a projected slight sales dip to $88.79 billion; it too has consistently surpassed earnings expectations.
Both tech giants are contending with regulatory scrutiny in China and are poised to release their Q4 financial reports after renewing their partnership earlier this year.
In line with the recent data from InvestingPro, Qualcomm, with a market capitalization of $121.63 billion, has a P/E ratio of 14.14, suggesting a relatively moderate valuation. The company's P/E ratio is adjusted to 12.33 for the last twelve months as of Q3 2023. Despite a revenue decline of 8.44% over the same period, the company still managed to generate a gross profit of $21.73 billion, indicating efficient operations.
Two of the InvestingPro Tips that stand out for Qualcomm include its history of consistent dividend payments and its high return on assets. The company has raised its dividend for 21 consecutive years, a testament to its commitment to returning capital to shareholders. Additionally, Qualcomm operates with a high return on assets, indicating efficient use of its resources to generate earnings.
These insights are particularly relevant given Qualcomm's upcoming Q4 earnings announcement and the potential impact on its share price. For readers interested in more in-depth analysis and additional tips, the InvestingPro platform offers a total of 11 tips for Qualcomm, providing a comprehensive view of the company's financial health and investment potential.
This article was generated with the support of AI and reviewed by an editor. For more information see our T&C.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.