* New investors longer term positive for silver - analyst
* Chinese investors jump on silver India slashes import tax on gold, silver by 5%
* Gold-silver ratio falls to multi-year low (Updates prices)
By Shreyansi Singh
Feb 1 (Reuters) - Silver stretched its rally to a third session on Monday, jumping as much as 11.2% to a near eight-year high as retail investors switched focus to the metal from GameStop Corp (NYSE: GME ) GME.N and other stocks hyped up in social media.
As of 2:27 p.m. EST (1927 GMT), spot silver XAG= was up 6.6% at $28.78 an ounce, easing back slightly after hitting its highest since February 2013 at $30.03.
Paving the way for a 19% surge in prices since Thursday, posts began circulating on Reddit appealing to small investors to buy silver mining stocks and exchange-traded funds (ETF) backed by physical silver bars. social media speculation is at the early stage for silver and there is uncertainty about how much more momentum we can have," said Edward Moya, senior market analyst at OANDA, adding that due to positive fundamentals, the addition of new investors will be a longer term positive for silver.
Data from iShares Silver Trust ETF SLV , the largest silver-backed ETF, showed its silver holdings HLDISHAST=XAG jumped by a record 37 million shares from Thursday to Friday alone, each representing an ounce of silver.
While a lot of people came in "very enthusiastic" that they're going to see moves in silver similar to what happened with GameStop and other companies, "they now realize there is not as much buying pressure pushing it up like some had thought", said Michael Matousek, head trader at U.S. Global Investors.
Some of them were lightening up their positioning and that could be responsible for the light pullback, he added.
Experts caution that gold's relatively subdued performance suggests silver's rally may not last long. An ounce of gold currently buys 63.6 ounces of silver, compared with 73.3 ounces on Jan. 25.
<^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Holdings in the world's largest silver ETF, iShares Silver Trust, spike to record peak
https://tmsnrt.rs/3cpqJmB Silver has outperformed gold in price terms and in ETF holdgings in recent months
https://tmsnrt.rs/39CYA9y Gold-silver ratio falls to multi-year low
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
can silver go down 27$ in this weekLike 0