PRECIOUS-Gold falls as investors fret over U.S. stimulus delay
(Adds comment, updates prices)
* ECB expected to unveil fresh stimulus in policy decision
* U.S. weekly jobless claims data due at 1330 GMT
* Interactive graphic tracking global spread of coronavirus: https://tmsnrt.rs/3aIRuz7 in an external browser
By Nakul Iyer
Dec 10 (Reuters) - Gold prices edged lower on Thursday, following a steep sell-off in the previous session, as a breakthrough in long-running U.S. fiscal stimulus negotiations remained elusive.
Spot gold XAU= slipped 0.2% to $1,835.40 per ounce by 0707 GMT, after falling as much as 2.5% on Wednesday. U.S. gold futures GCv1 were steady at $1,839.20.
"Gold has struggled as markets are disappointed with the inability of U.S. lawmakers to agree on a fiscal deal they were anticipating," said Lachlan Shaw, National Australia Bank's head of commodity research.
Lawmakers in the United States extended federal government funding by a week to give them more time to agree on a coronavirus relief package. But U.S. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said they were still looking for a way forward. could be seeing a regime change in gold markets as its correlation to real yields has weakened, due to investors continuing to move into riskier assets, creating a challenging outlook for safe-havens like gold," Shaw said.
Investors now await the European Central Bank's monetary policy decision, due at 1245 GMT, where it is expected to unveil fresh stimulus measures, and U.S. weekly jobless claims data, due at 1330 GMT. immediate gains in spot gold would have to battle the ongoing tide of outflows from gold exchange-traded funds," said FXTM market analyst Han Tan. GOL/ETF
"Ultimately, gold is due for another boost, either from the next injection of U.S. fiscal stimulus, or stronger signals out of the Federal Reserve with regards to boosting inflationary pressures."
Meanwhile, a British regulator cautioned against the use of Pfizer (NYSE: PFE )'s COVID-19 vaccine for those with allergies, after two people suffered adverse reactions, cooling optimism over a smooth vaccine rollout. other precious metals, silver XAG= fell 0.6% to $23.79 per ounce and platinum XPT= dropped 0.2% to $999.21, while palladium XPD= rose 0.8% to $2,283.73.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or