By Sam Boughedda
Investing.com — Shares of Planet Labs PBC (NYSE: PL ) rallied after the company announced the successful launch of Flock 4x, consisting of 44 SuperDove satellites.
The company announced Thursday after the closing bell that 4x was successfully launched into orbit on a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket with SpaceX, which has now brought to orbit 127 Planet satellites. It was the first launch with SpaceX under the companies' new multi-year agreement signed in August.
The satellites will join the company's existing fleet of roughly 200 satellites in orbit. Planet Labs said it was able to make contact with all of the SuperDove satellites.
The company's shares have risen 12% to $6.30 on the news. Earlier this week, Goldman Sachs initiated the stock with a buy rating and an $11 price target, telling clients in a research note that the company is the market leader in commercial Earth observation.
"The opportunity to sell data analytics into many industries is massive. PL has first mover advantage in the strategy of scanning the entire globe daily with its own low cost satellites," Goldman said in the note.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.