Philip Morris International Inc (NYSE: PM )., the company behind the Marlboro brand, has announced plans to invest $16 billion in smokeless products such as Zyn pouches and the IQOS device. The strategy is part of a broader aim for cigarettes to account for less than a third of its total revenue by 2030.
The company disclosed this week that it anticipates a 9% to 11% earnings growth from 2024 through 2026, bolstered by an expected 50% surge in US Zyn shipment volumes. However, due to volatile currency movements, Philip Morris predicts that its third-quarter profit may settle at the lower end of its forecast.
In line with its strategy to diversify its product portfolio, the company also revealed plans to introduce the IQOS device in the US market in 2024. This move underscores Philip Morris's commitment to transforming its business model and reducing its dependence on traditional cigarette sales.
Despite the ambitious growth projections and strategic investments, Philip Morris's financial performance remains susceptible to currency fluctuations. This serves as a reminder of the various external factors that can influence the profitability of multinational corporations.
The shift towards smokeless products is reflective of a broader trend in the tobacco industry, with companies seeking to adapt to changing consumer preferences and tighter regulatory environments. With this significant investment, Philip Morris signals its intent to be at the forefront of this industry transformation.
This article was generated with the support of AI and reviewed by an editor. For more information see our T&C.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.