Palantir (NYSE: PLTR ) shares are up more than 2% premarket following news it has won a $250 million contract with the US Defense Department (DoD) to continue to conduct research and development services in artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) for the US Army.
The share price increase adds to the company's over 6% gain on Wednesday. It currently sits around the $15.20 per share level.
The new contract extends an original one-year deal by three more years to 2026. The company was originally awarded a one-year $40M contract in September 2022.
In a note Thursday, BofA analysts, who maintained a Buy rating and $18 price target on PLTR shares, explained that in March 2023, the one-year deal was increased by $60M and "under this contract, PLTR has been obligated $92.2mn in FY23."
"While the annualized award levels do not imply upside from current offerings, we positively view the long-term award as it provides a) near-term revenue security, b) upside opportunities (as shown by the original contract modification), and c) a unique position to work closely with the Department of Defense (DoD) developing the nextgen AI and ML solutions," they said.
"We see the new extended award as a signal that PLTR is executing on its approach to deeper DoD penetration with AI/ML applications," the analysts added.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.