Over 3 lakh Sri Lankans leave country for foreign jobs this year
Colombo, Dec 18 (IANS) Over 300,000 Sri Lankans have left the country for foreign employment so far this year, a minister said here on Sunday.
Addressing an event to mark the International Migrants Day, Sri Lankan Minister of Labour and Foreign Employment Manusha Nanayakkara said this is the highest number of Sri Lankans leaving for foreign jobs in its post-independent history, Xinhua News Agency reported.
The minister said that the remittances they send will help Sri Lanka overcome the current economic crisis.
He said that remittances sent by Sri Lankan foreign workers abroad increased to 384.4 million US dollars in November 2022.
The number has been rising steadily in the past few months and the total remittances in the first 11 months of the year are over 3.3 billion dollars, the minister said.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or