- Worldcoin, co-founded by Sam Altcoin, the CEO of OpenAI, has concluded a successful Series C funding round, raising $115 million.
- The raised capital will use to advance the development of the World App, a crypto wallet application.
- Despite technical limitations, Worldcoin has amassed a user base of 1.7 million globally, with growing interest in the project.
Worldcoin, the crypto project co-founded by Sam Altcoin, the CEO of OpenAI, has successfully concluded a Series C funding round, raising a substantial sum of $115 million.
1/ We've led the $115M round of @worldcoin!Founders @alexblania and @sama are the perfect duo to scale a privacy-preserving identity protocol for the internetMore on our thesis and addressing the misconceptions below. ↓ pic.twitter.com/BLu3WVyVL7
— Blockchain Capital (@blockchaincap) May 25, 2023
Prominent investors such as Blockchain Capital, a16z, Bain Capital Crypto, and Distributed Global participated in the funding round. Although the exact valuation of Worldcoin not disclosed, this significant investment further solidified its position in the cryptocurrency market.
Worldcoin will utilize the raised capital to advance the development of its World App, a crypto wallet application designed for the project’s ecosystem. Additionally, the company aims to explore and create innovative applications, including a collaboration with Optimism.
This funding round comes at a time when investment activities within the market have relatively subdued due to unfavorable conditions. It has gained attention for its unique user identification process involving retinal scanning using a specialized device.
Although the project emerged in 2021, it has recently regained momentum following the success of OpenAI and ChatGPT, bringing significant recognition to Sam Altcoin in the broader technology and crypto communities.
While the token release date has not been announced, Worldcoin has already amassed a user base of 1.7 million globally. However, technical limitations have hindered the desired coverage of Worldcoin’s eye scan identity verification.
Worldcoin’s Series C Funding Spurs Innovation
Notably, there has been a market in China where verified Worldcoin user information from Cambodia and Africa is traded for as little as $30 per account.
I thought Worldcoin was some dystopian Orwellian nightmare, then our team invested hundreds of hours evaluating what the project’s contributors have actually built and I completely changed my mind – why we led the latest financing 1/https://t.co/yq4qeofe5C
— Spencer Bogart
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.