By Sam Boughedda
Investing.com — Shares of Ocular Therapeutix Inc (NASDAQ: OCUL ) tumbled over 34% Friday after the failure of its Phase 2 clinical trial of OTX-CSI to treat dry eye disease.
Ocular Therapeutix shares are trading around the $7.09 mark, its lowest level in over a year.
The Massachusetts-based company said the trial did not meet its primary endpoint of increased tear production at 12 weeks as measured by the Schirmer's Test.
The goal of the Phase 2 U.S.-based clinical trial of OTX-CSI was to assess the safety, tolerability, durability, and efficacy of two different formulations of OTX-CSI by measuring signs and symptoms of dry eye disease in 140 subjects treated in both eyes over 16 weeks.
"While we are disappointed by these results, demonstrating clinical benefit in patients with dry eye disease remains a significant unmet need and we will continue to review the data for additional information that may inform future development of this program," said Antony Mattessich, president and CEO of Ocular Therapeutix.
"We remain confident in the potential of our hydrogel-based formulation technology and its ability to deliver innovative ophthalmology therapies," he added.
H.C. Wainwright analyst Yi Chen recently increased Ocular Therapeutix's price target to $18 from $17, reiterating a buy rating after the FDA approved Dextenza to treat ocular itching.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.