Japanese IT infrastructure and services company, NTT Ltd., has announced a multi-year agreement with American chipmaker Qualcomm (NASDAQ: QCOM ) Technologies, Inc. on Tuesday. The collaboration aims to invest in and expedite the development of the 5G device ecosystem to spur private 5G adoption and enhance artificial intelligence (AI) at the edge.
The partnership will focus on meeting the need for 5G-enabled devices that support use cases such as push-to-talk devices, augmented reality headsets, computer vision cameras, and sensors at the edge across various sectors including manufacturing, automotive, and logistics.
"Qualcomm Technologies' 5G chipsets are prepared for the widespread adoption of AI applications at the edge and, together with NTT, we'll enhance innovative change across the 5G device ecosystem,” said Jeffery Torrance, Senior Vice President & General Manager, Connected Smart Systems, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc.
Shahid Ahmed, Executive Vice President of New Ventures & Innovation at NTT Ltd., added that this collaboration with Qualcomm Technologies aims to upgrade the 5G ecosystem by delivering the devices their customers require in a simple and cost-effective way.
In addition to developing 5G-ready devices with Qualcomm's 5G chipsets, the companies will also work jointly to enhance AI at the edge through various applications such as image recognition. Capabilities will range from counting items and identifying object characteristics to verifying workers wearing safety equipment. Deploying AI applications through NTT's Edge-as-a-Service is expected to assist enterprises with workplace safety, optimization, and security.
The collaboration between NTT and Qualcomm is anticipated to accelerate innovation with global enterprise customers and drive widespread enterprise adoption of private 5G. According to research by IDC, the value of the private 5G market is estimated to exceed $8 billion by 2026.
This article was generated with the support of AI and reviewed by an editor. For more information see our T&C.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.