By Aditya Raghunath
Investing.com -- After a slow start in early trade today, Nifty 50 and the BSE Sensex 30 closed very strongly at record highs. Nifty closed up 0.8% at 17,519 while the Sensex closed up 0.82% at 58,723.
Low inflation data from the US was a major factor behind the upsurge today. Equity investors gained Rs 2.16 lakh crore. Top Nifty gainers were NTPC Ltd (NS: NTPC ) at 7.46%, Bharti Airtel Ltd. (NS: BRTI ) at 4.8%, while Coal India Ltd (NS: COAL ) and Oil And Natural Gas Corporation Ltd (NS: ONGC ) gained over 3.8% each. Nifty Bank closed up 0.65% today.
FMCG stocks took a hit today with Tata Consumer Products Ltd (NS: TACN ) leading the losers on Nifty, closing down 0.95%, followed by Nestle India Ltd (NS: NEST ) at 0.55%. Grasim Industries Ltd (NS: GRAS ) closed 0.49% today.
Force Motors Ltd (BO: FORC ) closed up almost 6% after the company unveiled its new launch: Gurkha.
Asian markets closed mixed with Nikkei down 0.52%, Kospi up 0.15% and the Shanghai Composite down 0.17%.
US stock markets are set to open a touch higher, recouping some of Tuesday’s losses as a fresh rise in Covid-19 cases continued to cast doubt on the course of the recovery.
The impact of the delta variant wave was apparent in a 9% monthly drop in airfares in August, which contributed to inflation data coming in below expectations on Wednesday.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
nifty will touch 20k by decLike 0
ready for 18k levelLike 1
Nifty catch me if you can.Like 1
nifty 50 front give a *******about global cues ...Like 1
missing index blood bath 🩸Like 3
nifty market is ultra bullishLike 0