By Aditya Raghunath
Investing.com -- The Indian markets moved higher on December 23 on the back of small-cap and mid-cap stocks. While the Nifty rose 1%, BSE Sensex also rose by 0.95% today. Some of the top-performing stocks were:
- Ramco Systems Ltd (NS: RMCS ) that rose 6%
- Dilip Buildcon Ltd (NS: DIBL ) that rose 6%
- Wipro (NS: WIPR ) that rose 5%
- NCC (NS: NCCL ) that gained over 11%
- PC Jeweller Ltd (NS: PCJE ) that rose 8%
One of the top stories of the day was the win by Cairn Energy in an international arbitration case in relation to the tax dispute with the Indian government.
According to a Reuters report, “The tribunal ruled unanimously that India had breached its obligations to Cairn under the U.K.-India Bilateral Investment Treaty and awarded Cairn damages of $1.2 billion plus interest and costs, the company said in its statement.”
The Indian government received another setback after it lost a $2 billion international arbitration earlier case against Vodafone (LON: VOD ) for $2 billion.
US Futures recover
After a sudden plunge late Tuesday, all major indexes recovered early Wednesday morning. Since fiscal stimulus has been repeatedly propelling the markets to new records amid one of the most uncertain periods in market history, investors have been counting on yet another round of US largesse to keep the momentum going.
With Trump's unexpected move to block the passage of the bill just as the fiscal aid package was nearing the 'finish line,' investors' frayed nerves appeared to have finally collapsed on the news, in the aftermath of ongoing fears of a new strain of COVID-19.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.