By Aditya Raghunath
Investing.com -- Just as it seemed that the markets would consolidate on November 10 after six consecutive sessions of rallies, pharma giant Pfizer (NYSE: PFE ) announced that its experimental COVID-19 vaccines tested more than 90% effective. Dow Jones shot up by almost 3% overnight on this news, which means investors can expect Nifty and BSE Sensex to rally strongly today. Nifty Futures are trading up by more than 1% at around 8:45 am.
Pfizer along with its German partner BioNTech has developed the vaccine. They are the first pharmaceutical companies that have released large-scale data from clinical trials of a coronavirus vaccine. The duo has said that they have not found any serious safety issues and will be seeking US approval in November itself to roll out the vaccine for emergency use.
Even though initial trials look promising, it’ll be quite sometime before the vaccine reaches Indian shores. Pfizer says that it can produce up to 50 million doses in 2020 and 1.2 billion doses in 2021. These vaccine doses can only be manufactured after the vaccine is approved.
European stocks ended up at eight-month highs after the vaccine news gave a boost to the rally that was already going on after Joe Biden was announced as the President-elect of the USA. The FTSE gained 4.67%, CAC was up 7.57% and the DAC ended 4.94% higher. Japan’s Nikkei 225 is trading 1.31% higher in early trade. Australia’s ASX Ltd (ASX: ASX ) 200 was up 1.54%. South Korea’s KOSPI was also up 0.22% after dropping early.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.