Wellington, Sep 27 (IANS) Eight out of the 10 warmest years ever recorded in New Zealand up to 2022 have been within the last decade, the country's statistics department said on Wednesday."Average annual temperatures have increased nationwide in the last century and 2022 was the warmest year on record," said Stats NZ's senior manager of environment and agricultural statistics Stuart Jones.
Data collected over the last 114 years from sites across New Zealand show long-term changes in climate, with the trend of temperatures increasing, Xinhua news agency quoted Jones as saying.
New Zealand's annual average temperature rose by 1.26 degrees Celsius between 1909 and 2022, he said.
The average annual temperatures at each of the 30 sites monitored around the country had increased between 1972 and 2022.
These trends were reflected by seasons too, with each site recording warmer winters, and 28 out of the 30 sites experiencing warmer summers and autumns, Jones said.
These trends are consistent with global trends of average temperatures, which have increased by about 1 degree Celsius over the last century.
Rising temperatures can have a significant effect on agriculture, energy demand, ecosystems, and recreation, he said.
Stats NZ updated its temperature environmental indicator showing national average temperatures between 1909 and 2022, based on the National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research's seven-station temperature series.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.