By Yasin Ebrahim
Netflix announced earnings per share of $2.97 on revenue of $7.34 billion. Analysts polled by Investing.com anticipated EPS of $3.18 on revenue of $7.32 billion.
Netflix added 1.54 million users, above its forecast of 1 million net adds for the June quarter. Analysts had expected about 1.75 million net adds.
The slowing of subscriber growth in its core entertainment streaming business has prompted the company to diversify into video games.
"We view gaming as another new content category for us, similar to our expansion into original films, animation and unscripted TV," the company said.
Looking ahead, the streaming giant expects to add 3.5 million net subscriber adds, well short of analysts estimates of 5.5 million.
"COVID-related production delays in 2020 have led to a lighter first half of 2021 slate that will build through the course of the year. In the first six months of 2021, content amortization grew only 9% year over year (as compared to 17% in FY20). COVID and its variants make predicting the future hard, but with productions largely running smoothly so far, we’re optimistic in our ability to deliver a strong second half slate," the company said in a letter to investors.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.