By Scott Kanowsky
Investing.com -- Nestle SA (SIX: NESN ) has announced that it will begin exploring "strategic options" for its peanut allergy treatment following slower-than-anticipated take-up by patients and healthcare professionals.
In a statement released ahead of an investor seminar on Tuesday, the Swiss consumer goods company said that the review of the medicine, known as "Palforzia," is expected to be completed in the first half of 2023.
The group acquired Palforzia in 2020 when it bought California-based pharmaceutical firm Aimmune, which specialized in developing treatments for people with potentially life-threatening food allergies. Analysts at Stifel noted that, at the time of the acquisition, Palforzia was projected to eventually reach sales of CHF 1 billion (CHF 1 = $1.0503).
Nestle (NS: NEST ) added that, going forward, its health science division will "sharpen its focus" on consumer care and medical nutrition.
The Stifel analysts argued that Nestle's share price performance will likely be dictated by how that unit's acquisitions can bolster future growth, particularly after the $2.1B Aimmune purchase "seems to miss expectations."
Shares were slightly lower on Tuesday, as investors also considered Nestle's latest financial targets.
The Vevey-based company now projects organic sales growth of between 8% to 8.5% in 2022, up from its prior outlook at the "higher end" of the 6% - 8% band. Full-year income margin guidance of around 17.0% was also confirmed.
Meanwhile, it sees underlying trading operating profit margin in the range of 17.5% to 18.5% by 2025, warning that this figure will be impacted by a sharp recent increase in cost inflation. Annual underlying earnings per share growth is also set to be in the range of 6% to 10% in constant currency over the 2022 - 2025 period.
Nestle backed its ongoing CHF 20B share repurchase program from 2022 - 2024, and said it aims to maintain its practice of increasing its dividend year-on-year in Swiss francs.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.