- Since the attack news, HND has dropped by almost half, down to $0.0212.
- The hacker altered the exchange rate between Ethereum ERC-20 and hTOKENS.
On Saturday, the multi-chain lending protocol Hundred Finance said that it had been hacked on the Ethereum layer-2 blockchain Optimism, losing almost $7 million in the process. The protocol team has warned against speculation until an official statement has been released detailing the findings of the post-mortem they are doing on the assault.
We advise not to speculate on how the attack was executed, team is preparing a post mortem. Main focus is establish coms with hacker, reach an agreement. In parallel we are gathering all information available in order to have that handy for possible further steps. Thank you
— Hundred Finance (@HundredFinance) April 16, 2023
Hundred Finance also said it was communicating with the hacker in an effort to get back at least part of the money. Hundred Finance also tweeted that it was in contact with several security groups to investigate the situation.
No Negotiations Yet
A member of the Hundred Finance team going by the handle acidbird indicated in a chatroom on their discord server that the “hacker is not talking yet” but that they are working “on all possible scenarios.” Users in New York who were affected by the incident were advised to reach out to Hundred Finance on Sunday through Twitter or the chat software Discord.
On Saturday, when the protocol’s Hundred Finance token, HND, was worth roughly $0.0416 according to CMC (NS: CMC ) data, Hundred Finance issued a Twitter warning about the assault. Since then, it has dropped by almost half, down to $0.0212.
Furthermore, to explain how the hacker stole $7.4 million worth of digital assets by altering the exchange rate between Ethereum ERC-20 and hTOKENS, blockchain security company CertiK took to Twitter.
Moreover, according to the website, hTOKENS are “interest-bearing, tokenized representations of user deposits” whose value varies based on the borrowing and lending habits of other users.
Recommended For You:
U.S Court Sentences Silk Road Bitcoin Hacker a Year in Prison
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.