By Aditya Raghunath
Investing.com -- In what is perhaps the sharpest downgrade from agencies and institutions, ratings agency Moody’s slashed India’s growth forecast to 9.3% from its earlier estimate of 13.7% for FY22.
Moody’s said the second wave of the COVID-19 virus will “slow the near-term economic recovery and could weigh on longer-term growth dynamics”.
It added, “The surge of the virus, which has been driven by a highly contagious variant, has put significant strain on India’s healthcare system with hospitals overrun and medical supplies in short supply.”
That said, Moody’s has raised India’s FY23 projection to 7.9% from its earlier forecast of 6.2%. It also raised India’s real GDP contraction in FY21 to 7.2% from its earlier estimation of 7%.
Moody’s says that the second surge will not have as severe an impact as the first wave did. “Unlike the first wave where lock-downs were applied nationwide for several months, the second wave ‘micro-containment zone’ measures are more localized, targeted and will likely be of shorter duration. Businesses and consumers have also grown more accustomed to operating under pandemic conditions,” it said.
Moody’s added, “As of now, we expect the negative impact on economic output to be limited to the April to June quarter, followed by a strong rebound in the second half of the year.”
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
any blood bath today?Like 2