By Dhirendra Tripathi
Investing.com – Moderna stock (NASDAQ: MRNA ) plunged 8% Monday as the Food and Drug Administration expanded the use of the Covid-19 shots made by rivals Pfizer (NYSE: PFE ) and BioNTech (NASDAQ: BNTX ) while saying it continues to review data concerning all available vaccines.
The drug regulator today said a single booster dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine outweighs the potential risks in children 12 years and older and is thus allowed to be administered.
The body also authorized a third dose for immunocompromised children 5 years and older. It also shortened the time between the completion of primary vaccination of the Pfizer-BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine and a booster dose to at least five months for all eligible individuals older than 12 years, leaving unchanged the six-month gap for those vaccinated by Moderna’s shot, reports said.
The FDA decision comes as the Omicron variant rages through the U.S. and many other countries. Daily infections in U.S. along have crossed 700,000, a pandemic record while the world is averaging 1.5 million new cases every day.
The FDA said it reviewed real-world data from Israel, including safety data from more than 6,300 individuals 12 through 15 years of age who received a booster dose of the vaccine at least five months following completion of the primary two-dose vaccination series.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
west bengal tigersLike 0